Thursday, July 3, 2008

Rarities

These next albums that I’m upping were fairly hard to find, so I figured I re-up them for those who are unable to find them from other sources online. That being said, don’t forget to buy them after you try them!

JERRY GOLDSMITH – RUDY SOUNDTRACK (1993)


rudysoundtrack
Rudy has got to be my favorite sports movie of all time, and the main reason for this is it’s soundtrack. Jerry Goldsmith does a wonderful job of complimenting the movie's sentimental tone with extremely beautiful music. This is for the fans of the sports classic Rudy or if you’re just a fan of beautifully composed music in general. Definitely something worth checking out.

Track Listing:
1. Main Title
2. A Start
3. Waiting
4. Back On The Field
5. To Notre Dame
6. Tryouts
7. The Key
8. Take Us Out
9. The Plaque
10. The Final Game

Sample it here, buy it here

TOM SCOTT – THE HONEYSUCKLE BREEZE (1967)


thehoneysucklebreeze
This is yet another obscure jazz record that I picked up after getting into hip hop. Most of you will recognize that sax bit on “Today” from the Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth’s classic track “They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.).” While I must say that much of the album is not quite up to par with that track, this track alone makes this album worthwhile. Favorite tracks would have to be “Today,” “Mellow Yellow,” and “Baby I Love You”

Track Listing:
1. Honeysuckle Breeze
2. Never My Love
3. She's Leaving Home
4. Naima
5. Mellow Yellow
6. Baby, I Love You
7. Today
8. North
9. Blues for Hari
10. Deliver Me

Sample it here, buy it here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that Goldsmith score! Ahh...one of my favorite film composers. His scores always show a high level of craft, and are always spot on in terms of uplifting the subject matter without ever getting in the way.

I've only skimmed through the score, but I can hear a definite sentimental, "Irish" flavor in the tone of the score. The use of "triple meter" throughout this score (rhythmically grouped into bars of 3 beats or 6 beats) is definitely a conscious effort to underscore the Irish flavor. Almost every track has this feature!

As with many of Goldsmith's scores, Alexander "Sandy" Courage provides the great orchestrations.